Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Talking to the Birds

My instructor has mentioned a few times getting the audio series "Advanced Bird Language" and I haven't picked it up yet because it is kind of expensive, but my kids and I have been spending time watching and listening to the birds around the house, particularly the crows. He says that crows watch everything we do and once they see a person they remember them for the rest of their lives.

Apparently "Advanced Bird Language" explains once you understand bird behavior you can move more easily through the woods without being detected.

I never really paid much attention to birds before, I don't know their names or how to recognize their calls. But now I watch and listen carefully and am looking forward to learning more. This morning I caught my 4 year old daughter on the front porch holding a full blown conversation with a bird. The bird would call and she did her best to imitate the sound. The bird called right back. I thought it was cute and also perceptive on her part. I love the idea of being able to connect with nature right in your own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment